Northridge, Los Angeles
Northridge is a neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley region of the City of Los Angeles. The community is home to California State University, Northridge, and the Northridge Fashion Center.
Originally named Zelzah by settlers in 1908, the community was renamed North Los Angeles in 1929 but the appellation sometimes caused confusion between North Hollywood and Los Angeles. In 1938, civic leader Carl S. Dentzel decided to rename the community to Northridge Village, which morphed into modern-day Northridge.
The Northridge area can trace its history back to the Tongva people and later to Spanish explorers. It was sold by the Mexican governor Pío Pico to Eulogio de Celis, whose heirs divided it for resale.